Decide upon the issue and write it on the top of the page in the form of a question that can be answered yes (Pro) or
2. Draw a vertical line down the center of the page.
Write “Pros” (reasons for) at the top of one column and “Cons” (reasons against) at the top of the other column. (Do
not try to remember all of the reasons, write them down.)
4. Seek advice if needed.
Write down all of the reasons that you can think of both to do and not to do in making the decision from the serious to
Write down from the emotional, personal, moral and ethical, financial, spiritual, and any other area that is important to
7. Write as many things as you can think of.
8. Be honest with yourself about your reasons.
9. Sleep on the list after you have finished listing all the reasons pro and con.
10. Note that many people tend to think in negative terms and as a result the “Cons” side tends to be longer. Don’t
concern yourself if the “Cons” list is longer.
11. Eliminate as many reasons as you can with the goal of having the three (3) most important reasons for, the “Pros,”
and against, the “Cons.”.
12. Then eliminate down to two and finally the most important reasons for and against.
13. Often you will know the answer to your decision before you get down to the most important reasons for and against.